Friday, February 5, 2010

Changes in Lattitude, Changes in Attitude

How often do you wake up thinking "Today is a great day!"? In general, I'm not a morning person... especially when I have to get up at 5:15 am. But lately, I've been waking up with a little pep, ready for whatever you can throw at me, with my dog by my side. It really is an awesome feeling. I actually look forward to the day with a smile on my face and a 45 minute drive to ponder life... (note a slight hint of sarcasm regarding the 45 minute drive).

So of course, I've been trying to figure out WHY my days seem a little brighter (refer back to "chronic over-thinking" and it shouldn't surprise you). And I realized it comes down to one thing... THE SUN.

Unless you've lived in rainy places, you have no idea how much your body craves sun light. At least my body does. I attribute it to the Hawaiian in my blood. I'm supposed to be in the sun as much as possible. And for the last 30+ years of my life, I spent 9 months of the year in the gloomy, rainy, windy weather of Oregon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Oregon for all its patchouli oil and dreadlocks and hippies and keeping Portland weird... but in the end, I've been living in the wrong latitude.

Its like the Jimmy Buffett song:

Its these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of our running and all of our cunning
If we couldnt laugh we would all go insane

That last part rings especially true... If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. When life throws you a curve ball, you can either chose to let it hit your square in the face or adjust your stance, take a swing and hit the ball out of the park. Sometimes you're gonna swing and miss and sometimes your gonna get hit. BUT, its the attempt at making the best of a situation that really counts. Because, honestly, when does life EVER work out the way you think it should?

I realized not too long ago, that I am the only one I can control. So if something makes me happy, just do it. Stop worrying about what other people might think, or who I might offend. If my actions aren't right for you, that's fine. I totally will listen to your suggestion and consider your advice. But in the end, I'm all about ME. And if I can make YOU smile along the way and make YOUR day a little brighter, well then its just icing on the cake.

If you remember, my 2010 New years resolution was to make 2010 all about ME. And, for the 2nd time in my life, (the first time being when I acquired a taste for Whiskey back in 2006 :) I may actually achieve my resolution!

0 comments: